Chicken 65 recipe-is a fried chicken dish, which after frying is tempered and then tossed in a pan with few spices. This is a crispy non-vegetarian dish is very popular in restaurants, which we make now at home and is perfect for occasions like kitty parties, birthdays and anniversaries.
The story behind the name of Chicken 65, as to where this name came from, is quite interesting. Some people say that this dish has 65 ingredients into it, some say that this was made in the year 1965 for the first time, and some say that in a very popular restaurant, No. 65 was the number assigned to this chicken dish on the menu. Hence, the name Chicken 65!
- Chicken 65
- Chicken 65 Biryani
1. Chicken 65
Ingredients for Chicken 65 recipe
Boneless chicken pieces-1/2 kg of chicken-cut into medium size pieces.
Salt, 1 tbsp of vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of normal chilli powder, 1/4 tsp of coriander powder and less than 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp of garam masala, 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds powder, 1/2 tsp of pepper powder, 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste, 1 tbsp of curd, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, finely chopped curry leaves of 1 full string, finely chopped coriander leaves, 4 tbsp of corn flour, 1 tbsp of rice flour & salt.
For frying the chicken pieces
For making sauce
- 1 tbsp of sunflower oil, 1/2 tsp of crushed ginger and garlic or ginger-garlic paste, some curry leaves and 2 green chilli slits.
- 1/4 tsp of normal chilly powder,less than 1/4 tsp or 2 pinch of cumin seeds powder,1/4 tsp of pepper powder and 2 pinch of garam masala.
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice, 1 tbsp of chilli-garlic sauce, food colour, some salt.
For preparing Sauce
- 5-6 garlic cloves (chopped), ginger-garlic paste, chilly paste.
- Take Boneless chicken pieces of 1/2 kg of chicken which have cut into medium size pieces. You can take the chicken pieces with bones which gives the actual taste of this recipe.
- Soak the chicken pieces in salt water for some time along with salt, add 1 tbsp of vinegar and soak the chicken pieces for some time. Then wash it properly in more water and then marinate it with the masala accordingly. After that Keep it aside.
Steps for preparing marination
- In a wide bowl, put 1/2 tsp of normal chilli powder, 1/4 tsp of coriander powder and less than 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp of garam masala, 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds powder, 1/2 tsp of pepper powder, 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste, 1 tbsp of curd, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, finely chopped curry leaves of 1 full string, finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Now add 4 tbsp of corn flour, 1 tbsp of rice flour. Rice flour gives a crispiness to the fried chicken. Chicken 65 should be crispy enough. Add enough salt and mix them properly.
- When the ingredients are mixed well, you can add water into it. Let it mix properly then add very little amount of water. Make a thick batter by adding water and then put the chicken into the batter. Don’t forget to check the taste of the batter, before adding the chicken into the batter. At that time,you can adjust the amount of salt,chilli,lemon juice/curd(sourness),if anything required.
- Here this dish described to prepare in 2 steps. First fry the chicken pieces and then make a sauce and mix them with the fried chicken. If you don’t want to do the sauce making part, increase the amount of spice in this masala now itself that is increase the amount of chilli powder and pepper powder in this masala.
- Now add some water into it and make a thick batter. Do not add more water. The water from the chicken also oozes out. So the consistency may vary if you add more water in order to make the batter.
- Prefer to add garam masala in a very small quantity. You can add more garam masala if you want. The masala should coat well with the chicken pieces. Now check the taste of the masala. If everything perfect in the batter, add the washed chicken pieces into it and marinate it well.
- Marinate the chicken in the night and keep it in the fridge overnight. Then on the next day, use to fry them in the required quantity only. By that time, the masala would be blend properly in the chicken pieces. But its not necessary. But try to keep it marinated for at least 20 minutes.
- Do not add food colour in this now, add some food colour when preparing the sauce later. Its always better to avoid food colours. Now keep it in the fridge for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, fry the chicken pieces.
Steps to fry the chicken pieces
- Pour enough oil into a pan let it heat in medium flame. When the oil is heated up, put the chicken pieces one by one. Fry the chicken pieces in 2-3 batches. Fry the chicken pieces till it is cooked well inside and turns crispy outside.
- While the chicken pieces fry, make the sauce.
Steps to make sauce for Chicken 65 recipe
- Pour 1 tbsp of sunflower oil in a pan. Add 1/2 tsp of crushed ginger and garlic or ginger-garlic paste. Saute them for some seconds in medium flame. Now add some curry leaves and 2 green chilli slits.
- Saute them in medium flame only, otherwise the ginger and garlic may burned quickly. Add the powders into it. Add 1/4 tsp of normal chilly powder,less than 1/4 tsp or 2 pinch of cumin seeds powder,1/4 tsp of pepper powder and 2 pinch of garam masala. Saute them well in low flame,do not make them burned in high flame.
- When the raw smell goes,add 1 tbsp of lemon juice into it and stir continuously. Add 1 tbsp of chilli-garlic sauce. Saute them all well till the raw smell goes from it.
- Always check the taste of the fried chicken before adding them into the sauce. And also check the taste of the sauce before adding the chicken. Adding some food colour now to get a good look to the dish.
- Add some hot water into it and check the taste of the sauce. Always check the taste before adding the salt because the sauces we have added already, may have salt in it. The spice level and the sourness is sufficient. So adding some salt now to make it perfect. Mix them well and switch off the flame now.
- When whole the chicken pieces are fried, mix them in this sauce. The first batch of chicken pieces will ready now. It will be very crispy also. Do not add food colour to this chicken. But it gets the nice colour when you mix it with the sauce. So there is no need to add food colour in both chicken as well as in the sauce.
- Check the chicken pieces, whether it is cooked well or not. Transfer them into a strainer and fry the remaining chicken pieces in the same way. The chicken 65 is ready now. Transfer them into a serving bowl.
- If you didn’t get the chilli-garlic sauce, prefer the sauce like below:-
Steps for preparing Sauce
- Take 5-6 garlic cloves and chop them very finely. Along with ginger-garlic paste,add these chopped garlic in the beginning itself and saute well. After that add chilli sauce/chilly paste into it and mix well. It gives you the taste of chilli-garlic sauce. If chilli garlic sauce is available in your market,buy from there.
- You can use this as a starter. Or you can serve this as a combination for fried rice,pulao or whatever you like. The sauce should blend well in the chicken pieces, which enhances the taste while you bite it. So I’ve put them into a serving plate. Now the Chicken 65 recipe is ready.
2. Chicken 65 Biryani
Ingredients for Chicken 65 Biryani recipe
- Chicken- 1 KG chicken (with or without bone), 4 TB spoon yogurt, 1 TB spoon ginger garlic paste, few spices are: 1/2 teaspoon turmeric pwd,1/2 teaspoon red chili pwd, 1/2 teaspoon all spice pwd, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt.
- Few pinches of red food color, 1 teaspoon black pepper pwd & 1 teaspoon paprika pwd, 2 TB spoon all-purpose flour & 3 TB spoon corn starch, 1 TB spoon of soya sauce, 2 TB spoon of lemon juice and 2 TB spoon of cooking oil.
- 2 TB spoon of cooking oil, some whole spices, 2 bay leaves, 2 black cardamom, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 green cardamoms, 4 or 5 cloves, 1 teaspoon black cumin, 1 TB spoon salt.
- 3 cups of rice soaked in water for 10 minutes, 5 to 5 1/2 cups of water, 1 TB spoon salt.
- 200 gm of yogurt, 4 TB spoon of biryani spice, 1 medium tomato sliced on top, 4 TB spoon of fried onion.
- Some coriander leaves, green chilies, 1 TB spoon of mint leaves ( dried), some food color (optional), fried onion and coriander leaves.
- Marinate the chicken first. Take 1 KG chicken. You can take with or without bone. Add 4 TB spoon yogurt, 1 TB spoon ginger garlic paste, few spices are: 1/2 teaspoon turmeric pwd,1/2 teaspoon red chili pwd, 1/2 teaspoon all spice pwd, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt.
- Add few pinches of red food color, 1 teaspoon black pepper pwd & 1 teaspoon paprika pwd, 2 TB spoon all-purpose flour & 3 TB spoon corn starch, 1 TB spoon of soya sauce, 2 TB spoon of lemon juice and 2 TB spoon of cooking oil. Mix them well.
- Cover & keep it aside. Take a pan & add 2 TB spoon of cooking oil. When warm add some whole spices, 2 bay leaves, 2 black cardamom, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 green cardamoms, 4 or 5 cloves, 1 teaspoon black cumin, 1 TB spoon salt later.
- After 10 to 15 seconds, add 3 cups of rice soaked in water for 10 minutes. Now add 5 to 5 1/2 cups of water. In this biryani, use fried rice rather than the boiled one. Add 1 TB spoon salt.
- While rice is cooking, take another pan with oil for shallow frying. Now fry the marinated chicken. Don’t have to marinate the chicken for hours. When oil is hot, put them in it one by one.
- Make sure the pieces fry slightly apart from each other. Don’t forget to check the rice too. Do try this new kind of biryani, it’s different from the usual one and it tastes delicious. Fry it on medium flame till done. Avoid high flame otherwise, it will be uncooked from inside.
- When the rice is almost done, add a few things on the rice before simmering it. Take 200 gm of yogurt, add 4 TB spoon of biryani spice on it. Mix them and pour it on top of the rice. Also add 1 medium tomato sliced on top, add 4 TB spoon of fried onion, leave some for garnishing.
- Take out the first batch of fried chicken. Then, fry the remaining chicken pieces in the same way. Don’t forget the remains of the coating. Now go back to the rice. Put some coriander leaves, green chilies, add 1 TB spoon of mint leaves ( I have the dried one). Now cover and simmer for few minutes.
- Add 5 and 1/2 cups of water on rice and don’t add higher on this limit. Because when you add yogurt on top, which also contains water. After frying & done of rice, transfer it and assemble the tasty biryani. On top pour some food color (optional). Now place the fried chicken. Garnish it with fried onion and coriander leaves. Now Chicken 65 Biryani recipe is ready to serve.