Delicious Pav Bhaji Recipe-is a most popular fast food dish or Indian Snack street food from Indian Cuisine. It comprises of a thick vegetable curry served with a fried, buttered & sprinkled bread roll.
The vegetable curry served with pav bhaji is commonly made with potatoes, tomatoes & cauliflower and with other spices. Pav Bhaji is primarily from Maharashtrian Cuisine.
Here I present the step-by-step procedures of making this mouthwatering and tangy flavour delicious Pav Bhaji Recipe in different styles.
- Pav Bhaji Recipe
- Pav Bhaji Masala Recipe
- Mumbai Pav Bhaji Recipe | Bombay Pav Bhaji Recipe
- Jain Pav Bhaji recipe | No Onion No Garlic Pav Bhaji
- Spicy Pav Bhaji recipe
- Pav Bhaji Khakhra recipe
1.Pav Bhaji Recipe
- 7 Small potatoes or 1 big or 2 medium sized potatoes,
- 1 cup finely chopped capsicum
- 1 cup cauliflower
- Green peas (frozen peas)
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- Beet Root
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 2 big finely chopped onions
- 2 small tomatoes or 1 big tomato
- 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste
- pav bhaji masala-1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder (kashmiri chilli powder)
- 1/2 stick or 2 tbsp butter.
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste.
- Corinader leaves
- Cook veggies in cooker first. You can take veggies of your choice.
- Take 7 small potatoes in a pot. You can use 1 big or 2 medium size potatoes.
- Add other veggies in another pot.
- First add 1 cup finely chopped capsicum, 1 cup cauliflower, green peas (frozen peas), 1/4 cup grated carrot.
- Add little beet root to these veggies. So the pav bhaji gets nice reddish colour.
- Add little water to potatoes and add about 1/2 glass water to veggies.
- It is 1” water in cooker.
- Use two pots in the cooker. So that water at the bottom won’t enter in the pots above.
- Put the potato pot at the bottom. So that the potatoes cook evenly and quickly. And on that the veggies pot.
- Close the lid. Cook on medium heat until 2-3 whistles. Until the veggies are getting cooked, at the same time cook masala for pav bhaji.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add 2 big finely chopped onion to it. To make pav bhaji masala, use more onions.
- Fry the onion until it gets pink colour for about 7-8 minutes on medium heat. It will get nice reddish colour.
- Add 2 small tomatoes or 1 big tomato to it.
- Pour 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste.
- Add all masale right now. Add pav bhaji masala-1 tbsp and 1 tbsp red chilli powder. You can use kashmiri chilli powder. It gives nice colour to the bhaji.
- Mix everything well together.
- In this masala, add 1/2 stick or 2 tbsp butter.
- Fry masala until tomato cooks well and until tomato has mixed well with onion.
- Add 1/2 tsp sugar. Sourness or acidity in tomato will reduce due to sugar.
- Cook the vegetables well.
- Now peel the boiled potatoes. Mash the boiled veggies. Mash well with potato masher.
- Do not remove the water in boiled veggies. Let it be like that. Mash the veggies well.
- Now grate the boiled potatoes in mashed veggies. You can mash the potatoes and veggies together if you want.
- Grate the potatoes to avoid it left behind due to it small chunks.
- Mix the veggies and potatoes well. Add the boiled and mashed veggies to the prepared masala.
- Add salt to taste.
- Mix everything well together. Again add 1 tbsp butter to it. Now cover it.
- Cook on a medium heat for about 7-8 minutes. So that flavour in masala of tomato and onion will be absorbed well in veggies.
- Cook the pav bhaji on medium heat for about 10 minutes. It smells just awesome. Remove the lid and check.
- Pav bhaji is served with buttered and roasted ladi pav or pav bhaji che pav.
- Serve with onion and corinader with pav bhaji.
2.Pav Bhaji Masala recipe
- Whole Dry Red Chilies – 5
- Carom Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cloves – 7
- Black Pepper Corns – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Seeds – 2 tbsp
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Cinnamon Sticks – 5, 1 inch pieces
- First heat a cast iron skillet and roast each of the whole spices one by one.
- Home made spices taste very good. Clean all the whole spices before roasting
- After heating of oil, roast cinnamon sticks.
- Roast spices lightly, not very much.
- Take them out as soon as they start changing their color and smelling.
- Now roast fennel seeds.
- Roast coriander seeds.
- Roast spices on a low flame.
- Keep stirring.
- Roast cumin seeds.
- Now roast black pepper corns.
- Roast dry whole red chilies.
- Then, roast cardamom.
- Roast cloves.
- Then, roast fenugreek seeds.
- Roast carom seeds.
- Turn off the gas.
- Put them aside and let them cool.
- After getting in room temperature, grind roasted spices.
- Stir it once or twice while grinding. Grind the masala powder fine.
- Masala powder is fine now. Take it out.
- Delicious Pav Bhaji Masala Recipe is ready now.
- Store it in an air tight container. It can be stored & used upto 3 months.
- Use this powder to make Pav Bhaji anytime.
3.Mumbai Paw vaji | Bombay Paw vaji
- Pav (get it in any supermarket or dairy shop )
- Boiled potato – 2 ( medium )
- Finely chopped tomato – 2 ( medium )
- Finely chopped Capsicum – 1/2 no.
- Boiled green peas – 1/4 cup
- Finely chopped onion – 1 ( large )
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- Lemon slice – 1/2 or 1 tbsp
- Crushed or paste of 1 inch ginger and 2 garlic cloves ( 1/2 tbsp )
- Turmeric powder
- Dry fenugreek leaves
- Butter – 50 gm
- Pav bhaji masala (detailed above on how to make pav bhaji masala or you can purchase in market)
- Kashmiri red chilli powder
- And salt to taste
- Mash the boiled potatoes very nicely
- Keep it aside for later use
- Heat a pan or Kadhai or tawa for preparing Bhaji ( gravy )
- Put 2 tbsp butter in it ( it gives very nice aroma and flavour to the gravy )
- Add chopped capsicum and saute it on medium-high flame for 2 minutes
- Now add the boiled peas , chopped tomatoes and salt to taste , then saute them for 2 minutes
- Tomatoes has become soft now
- Add crushed ginger and garlic
- Then put 1/2 tbsp dry fenugreek leaves ( enhances the flavour )
- Put 1 – 1½ tbsp Pav bhaji masala
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- And chopped coriander leaves
- Now add the mashed potatoes , salt to taste and mix it well
- Then mash everything very well using a potato masher
- Take it out into a plate
- Put 1 tbsp butter in a heated pan
- Then add chopped onion and saute it on medium flame for 2 minutes
- Add 1/4 tsp dry fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp Pav bhaji masala
- Squeeze 1/2 no or 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Adding a pinch of red food colour ( optional )
- Now add the prepared masala and mash it using the masher very well
- Keep the flame low while mashing the potatoes or gravy
- Gradually pour the water as required
- Now add the salt according to your taste
- The bhaji ( gravy ) looks market style , very smooth in texture
- Here 1½ cup water is used. ( add the water as required )
- Bhaji is ready now
- Heat a tawa to roast the Pav
- Put 1 tbsp butter in it
- Add 1/4 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Pav bhaji masala
- Coriander leaves and mix all for a while on low flame
- Then roast the Pav on low flame for a minute only
- It is done now
- Now switch off the gas and take it out in a plate
- Hot and Delicious Pav bhaji recipe is ready to serve now.
4.Jain Pav Bhaji | No Onion No Garlic Pav Bhaji recipe
- ½ medium green capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 raw banana, boiled, peeled and mashed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander for garnishing
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 ¼ teaspoons cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoons pav bhaji masala
- A dollop of butter for roasting
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds and let the seeds turn brown.
- Put capsicum and sauté for a minute. Pour salt, mix well and add raw banana. Mix well and sauté for a minute.
- Add 3 tablespoons chopped coriander, mix well. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and pav bhaji masala. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato and mix well. Add green peas, mix and add 2 tablespoons water. Mix well. Adjust salt, mash and cook for 3-4 minutes. Keep it out and transfer into a serving bowl.
- Slit pavs horizontally without cutting through. Roast them on a non-stick tawa with butter till crisp.
- Garnish bhaji with chopped coriander and a dollop of butter and serve hot with pavs. Your Delicious Pav Bhaji recipe is ready now.
5.Spicy Paw vaji
- 3 to 4 tbsp of oil and butter
- 1 tbsp of crushed ginger and garlic, 3 to 4 chopped onions
- chopped 4 tomatoes, chopped capsicum
- Salt to taste Half tsp of turmeric powder, 1 tbsp mix masala, pav bhaji masala-1 tbsp, Half tbsp Amchur powder (Sour dried mango powder).
- Orange red coloring
- Boiled Cauliflower and green peas, 4 to 5 potatoes.
- Coriander leaves.
- Firstly heat 3 to 4 tbsp of oil and butter. Oil and butter will be in equal proportion. Pav bhaji must be full of butter. Let it melt completely.
- Now, add 1 tbsp of crushed ginger and garlic. Add 3 to 4 chopped onions and finely chopped 4 tomatoes. Cook until it’s soft enough.
- Once the onion and tomatoes are cooked well, add 2 chopped capsicum to it. Let all the ingredients blend well.
- But while everything cooks add salt to it. Half tsp of turmeric powder. Next, add 1 tbsp mix masala. Also, add one tablespoon paw vaji masala. Half tbsp Amchur powder (Sour dried mango powder).
- Finally, add orange red coloring. Everything should be mixed well.
- Add boiled cauliflower and green peas. Cook in a pressure cooker with one whistle.
- And then, mix it using a masher. Next, add 4 to 5 boiled potatoes. Now, let’s add water.
- Pour it a little at a time. Make sure to mix it thoroughly. Let’s add some more butter. And add some water also. Let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let it come to a boil and Pav Bhaji will be ready to eat. Pav Bhaji is ready but now let’s toast the pav. Switch off the stove.
- Let’s take some butter. Divide the pav in 2 halves. Keep the weight worries apart while enjoying Pav Bhaji. Pav is toasted well. Bhaji is also ready!
- Let’s serve it on a plate.
- Now, let’s take out the Bhaji in a bowl. Serve it with some butter on top.
- Lastly, garnish it with some coriander leaves.
- Your Delicious Pav Bhaji recipe is ready to savor!
6.Pav Bhaji Khakhra recipe
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour or guca Atta,
- 1/4 cup besan,
- 3 tbsp power Haji masala,
- 1/4 TSP turmeric powder,
- 1 TSP red chilli powder
- Salt to taste.
- 4 garlic cloves
- Whole green chillies,
- 4 ¼ TSP oil,
- Plain yogurt
- Take 2 cups of whole wheat flour or guca Atta in a bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup besan, 3 tbsp power Haji masala, 1/4 TSP turmeric powder, 1 TSP red chilli powder and some salt to taste.
- Now grind 4 garlic cloves and whole green chillies and mix around in jar and add that pace to the bowl.
- Now add 4 TSP oil. Mix the flour with your hand.
- Make a dough out of it and the dough should be stiff. So add a little water at a time and make a stiff dough.
- Now at the end, add 1/4 TSP oil and knead the dough. Now cover the stove and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After 10-15 minutes take out the dough and take a small portion out of it.
- Apply some plain yogurt or wheat flour and roll this thin. So make sure you roll these khakhras very nice and thin. So this is quite round. Make it more round so that it has even edges.
- Now heat the pan and put this roti or the ska karate. Keep the flame between low to medium and as soon as you see bubbles, flip the roti and use a cotton cloth and keep pressing this roti while you are cooking it.
- So you need to apply some pressure and keep pressing it and ruling it this way all the bubbles will collapse as and they’ll stick together and the chakra will become nice crispy. So you need to do this on both the sides.
- Now the khakhra is ready and take it out in a plate. Similarly roast all the khakhras.
- Making khakhra is time-consuming. These are very low in fat. If you want you can apply a little more oil while roasting these khakhras. But if you are diet conscious you can make this with low oil.