Veg Hyderabadi Biryani is a traditional recipe made with rice & veggies is a very popular dish of Hyderabadi cuisine. It tastes awesome.
Veg biryani in Pressure cooker is an quick and ideal for lunch boxes if you prepare it in early morning.
Here the recipe of following have been described in detail.
1.Veg Hyderabadi Biryani
2.How to make Veg Biryani in Pressure Cooker | Veg Biryani in Cooker
1.Veg Hyderabadi Biryani
- 2 cups of rice, few strands of saffron, some salt to taste and 3 tablespoon of oil & 1 tblspn ghee.
- Chopped onions, a couple of inches of ginger, two green chillies and 6 cloves of garlic, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves.
- A teaspoon turmeric powder, a teaspoon or more of garam masala powder, a large tablespoon of coriander powder and some red chilli powder.
- Two large chopped tomatoes and half a cup of the tomato puree.
- A half a cup of plain yogurt, chopped mint leaves.
- Boiled potatoes, the steamed vegetables, some salt to taste and a tablespoon of oil or ghee, caramelised onions.
- Cook the rice First.
- Into a large sauce pan, add in 2 cups of rice that has been washed and rinsed well under water.
- Add in a few strands of saffron. Some salt to taste and a tablespoon of oil or ghee.
- Adding the oil or ghee, the grains of rice will remain separate while cooking.
- Add two cups of water and give the rice a stir.
- Cover the pan and we will now partially cook the rice until it is light and fluffy and all the water is absorbed.
- Into a small grinder, add in two roughly chopped onions, a couple of inches of ginger, two green chillies and finally 6 cloves of garlic. Grind this mixture into a smooth paste.
- Transfer the masala paste into a small bowl and keep it aside.
- Use a spice grinder or a pestle and motor to pound spices like cardamom, cinnamon, cloves until blended.
- Do not pound the bay leaves, it will be added in separately into the biryani.
- Now begin to make the masala for the Veg Hyderabadi Biryani.
- Add two tablespoons of oil into a large saucepan.
- Add in the onion ginger garlic paste and sauté it in the oil until the raw smell goes away.
- This process takes 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat
- Take care not to burn the ginger garlic paste and hence sauté it on medium to low heat
- Once the onion mixture is well sautéed add in the bay leaves and the pounded spice mixture
- Add in a teaspoon or more of turmeric powder, a teaspoon or more of garam masala powder, a large tablespoon of coriander powder and finally some red chilli powder to suit your taste.
- Stir all the ingredients together and sauté for about a minute until you smell the aromas of the spices coming out and the masala comes together
- Once the onion masala comes together, we will add in the two large chopped tomatoes and half a cup of the tomato puree. Stir all the ingredients together.
- Cook the tomatoes in the masala for 7 to 8 minutes on low heat.
- You will notice that after it has cooked for 7 to 8 minutes you get a rich masala gravy at the end of it.
- Once you have a rich masala gravy, add in a half a cup of plain yogurt and stir it into the biryani masala gravy.
- Finally add in lots of chopped mint leaves.
- At this stage stir in the boiled potatoes, the steamed vegetables, some salt to taste and finally a tablespoon of oil or ghee.
- Stir all the ingredients together. The Biryani Masala is now ready to be cooked along with the half cooked rice.
- Its been about 15 minutes that the rice has been cooking.
- It looks perfectly half cooked with the flavours of saffron coming out
- Use a spoon or a fork to fluff the rice up.
- Spread the cooked rice over the Biryani masala gravy.
- You can choose to layer your biryani, but you will need another large saucepan to layer the rice and masala alternatively.
- Once you have layered the rice over the biryani masala gravy, cover the pan and simmer the rice on low heat to about 15 to 20 minutes until you notice the rice is fluffed up and cooked perfectly.
- After about 15 to 20 minutes, open the pan and notice the rice is fully and yet grainy.
- Give the biryani a gentle stir to combine all the masala gently into the rice.
- You can now transfer the Biryani to a serving dish and garnish it with the caramelised onions and serve Veg Hyderabadi Biryani for your parties or sunday lunch.
2.How to make Veg Biriyani in Pressure Cooker
- Cauli flower, half of 1 small potato,capsicum of 3 different colours, 1 mushroom,1/4th of one small carrot and some pineapple pieces, green peas, beans etc. based on your choice.
- Soya chunks, 2 glass of basmati rice, 2 onions, sunflower oil, some cashew nuts and raisins
- 1 small piece of ginger,4 green chilies and 4 cloves of garlic, 1 tbs of ghee/vegetable oil, a small piece of cinnamon,3 cardamoms,10-15 fennel seeds and 1 bay leaf, 2 small onion, sliced length wise, chopped coriander leaves and 5-6 mint leaves.
- Masala powders like 1/4 tsp turmeric powder,1/2 tsp chilli powder , 1 tsp garam masala.
- Tomato pieces, 1 finely chopped small tomato(well ripe), 1 tbs of curd.
- Wash and cut the vegetables of your choice.
- Some pieces of cauli flower,half of 1 small potato,capsicum of 3 different colours, 1 mushroom,1/4th of one small carrot and some pineapple pieces.
- If you add more vegetables ,you won’t get the actual taste of the biryani. So add very less amount of vegetables.
- Add green peas,beans,etc based on your choice
- Soak some soya chunks.It gives a taste like non veg biryani to our vegetable biryani
- Its like a non veg item for the vegetarians and its optional only
- Wash 2 glass of basmati rice and soak for 20 minutes in water. Strain it after 20 minutes and keep it aside. Do not wash the rice after soaking. Because the rice will break into small pieces. Thus the biryani won’t look good. Therefore soak the rice only after washing it properly.
- Fry 2 onions in sunflower oil, fry some cashew nuts and raisins too and keep them aside. These are all for garnishing the biryani.
- Take 1 small piece of ginger,4 green chilies and 4 cloves of garlic. Adjust the number of green chilly according to your taste. Grind them all with some water into a fine paste. The paste is ready
- Now start making biriyani. Take a cooker and add 1 tbs of ghee/vegetable oil and heat it enough.
- Add 4 cloves,a small piece of cinnamon,3 cardamoms,10-15 fennel seeds and 1 bay leaf( make it into pieces with your hands). Sauté them well for some seconds.
- You can also tie these spices in a muslin cloth and put it in the biryani
- Before serving, take these spices out from the rice. Because generally we don’t like to bite them while having biryani.
- Now add the green chiili-ginger-garlic mix into the cooker. Saute well till the raw smell goes.
- Take a very small quantity of green chilli, ginger and garlic. So you can add enough water to grind them.
- We can make it dry in the cooker itself.
- When the raw smell goes, add 2 small onion, sliced length wise. If the size of the onion is large, add only 1.
- Its the recipe with 2 glass of rice. So adjust the quantity of other ingredients accordingly.
- Add some sunflower oil into this. You can add ghee or whatever oil you like
- Add some salt. Pour chopped coriander leaves and 5-6 mint leaves into it. It gives a nice tempting smell to the biryani. Saute well in medium flame till it turns into light golden color.
- Please try to make biriyani in a large cooker. Do not make it in a smaller one.
- When it turn into light golden shade, add masala powders.
- Lower the flame. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder,1/2 tsp chilli powder (we have already added green chilli in the beginning ), add 1 tsp garam masala.
- Saute well till the raw smell goes.Then add tomato pieces
- You can adjust the amount of chilli powder and green chiily as per your wish
- This is the minimum spice level preferred for biryani. So that you can serve to your kids also.
- When the raw smell goes, add 1 finely chopped small tomato(well ripe) and mix well with the masala
- Cook the tomato well in the masala.
- At this time,try scrapping out the masala which gets stuck at the bottom.It can be easily done now
- When the tomato is cooked well, add 1 tbs of curd(after removing the lumps) into this masala and mix them well
- Add the whole vegetables now. Choose the vegetables of your choice. Add soya chunks and mix them all gently
- Cook these vegetables in medium flame for 2-3 minutes in order to blend them well in the masala. Try to cut the vegetables in smaller size
- Since,this is a cooker biriyani, cook the vegetables and rice together by adding water.
- Cook well for 3 minutes in medium flame. Put the flame on high and add 3 3/4 glass of HOT water (the glass in which you measured the rice). Boil them well in high flame
- Add 1 tsp of lemon juice to avoid sticking of rice. Mix well and check the taste.Make necessary changes if anything required. The level of salt should be a bit more.
- When, you feel perfect, let it boil well. Its for the basmati rice, add 3 3/4 glass of water.
- If you are using jeeraka samba rice/kaima rice,add 4 glass of water for 2 cups of rice
- Don’t forget to soak the rice for 20 minutes.Otherwise the rice won’t cook well
- Now add the rice. Mix well and put the flame in LOW.
- Close the cooker WITHOUT weight and cook for exact 7 minutes in low flame
- Then transfer the cooker to a burner which is cool and open the cooker after 15 minutes
- Do not put the weight and please don’t forget to check the time
- Use small sized soya chunks. If you are using bigger ones,cut it into small pieces. After 7 minutes, switch off the flame.
- For jeeraka samba rice/kaima rice,keep it for 8-9 minutes in low flame.
- So let’s change this cooker to another burner which is cool enough and keep it there for 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes , open the cooker. Your vegetable biriyani is ready now. Gently puff up rice and vegetables. Gently bring the rice from bottom to the top. Otherwise,it may cook even more because of the heat at the bottom level. The vegetables should spread all over the rice.
- Biriyani tastes even better if you have it after cooling. It tastes even more when you have it on next day.
- If you feel like the salt is not enough,sprinkle some salt water on the top and mix them well with a fork.
- Garnish the biryani with the fried onions,cashew nuts and raisins. Add some chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves .
- Now easy cooker biriyani is ready to serve.
- For the combination, use curd raita by adding onion green chilly and tomato. It can serve upto 6 people.
- Do not keep the biriyani in the cooker itself. Transfer it into another vessel,otherwise it may boil more due to the temperature inside the cooker.
- If you want to increase the flavour,just add some ghee before mixing the rice. Also make Veg Hyderabadi Biryani in Pressure cooker for quick service.